- BAKER’S SECRET®
- CHICAGO CUTLERY®
- Anchor Hocking®
- Charcoal Companion®
- Chicago™ Metallic
- Grande Epicure
- Granite Ware®
- J.A. Henckels International®
- Lock & Lock®
- Nordic Ware®
- Paula Deen
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST
Mon-Fri, 8AM - 5PM EST
Cornmeal Cheddar BreadMakes 2 loaves Servings
This is a delicious side to any Mexican-flavored meal. Remember to freeze one of the loaves to have next time!
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 (1 tbsp) package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water or milk
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/4 cups grated old cheddar cheese
5 to 5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pour boiling water over cornmeal and let stand until just warm.
- Stir together sugar and lukewarm water. Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand until doubled in volume.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water, salt, brown sugar, 1 cup cheddar cheese, cornmeal mixture and yeast mixture. Stir well. Add flour 1 cup at a time. When dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn out onto a floured surface. Knead in additional flour until dough is no longer sticky. Knead dough 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 to 1/2 hours. Punch dough and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place into buttered loaf pans. Let rise again until doubled in volume. Carefully sprinkle remaining cheese over bread.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and sides of loaf are also golden. Remove bread from pans and cool completely on wire racks.